Wednesday, January 19, 2011

From Neighbours, To Communities, To a United Nation

Have you ever heard the saying “It takes a village to raise a child” ?  It seems like quite a fitting sentiment in these times.  “It takes a village to raise a child”…What if we were to take this well known quote, that has been used time and time again, and turn it into a metaphor. 

When I hear this line of verse I feel empowered by my community.  I remember that unity can create change, perhaps even that someone out there, those I don’t even know, are capable of supporting me, and my family.  In a metaphorical sense, when everyone comes together for a common goal, they become one; a unit.  Differences are put aside, everyone works together, compassion takes centre stage, and laughter and tears are shed with empathy.  I’ve been seeing examples of this in the last few days.  I am sure that you all know where I am heading with this article, but let me share a few short moments with you.

I was at Woolworths, the morning of the floods and we had ducked in to get some bread, milk and baby stuff.  Whilst looking at the empty milk fridge a lady came up to me and said, “Oh I’m sorry darling if you’re looking for milk, it’s all gone.  Little bit of bread left if you hurry.”  She then led me down the long life isle, and discovering all the long life milk was out of stock as well continued to explain to me how if I used a tube of condensed milk I could make a cup of coffee and use a dollop of it as my milk and sugar (which the store was also out of). 

That same trip to Woolworths, another family saw us waiting in line at the checkouts. Feeling concern for our young baby they explained that they thought the further lines up would be less congested and to go have a look, but if not to come back and stand in line in front of them. 

I was at home the next day when my neighbour came up and started telling my husband about roads that were flooding, and closing. “Think we’ll be right here though mate” he said.

I turned on facebook to see one citizen had set up an update service, with more updates as soon as she found out more.  People were asking her questions that she would diligently search answers for.  Also on facebook, “Be safe in the floods”, “Thinking of those in the floods”  “Spare bed for those who need somewhere dry to sleep”  “Let me know if I can help in any way” and the list goes on.

People moving the belongings of strangers to higher ground, People in boats going to collect people stranded, Men carrying children not their own, and once again this list goes on.  Stories of hope, strength, support, community, compassion; these are the stories of a community standing together as one.

Soon it will be time for the clean-up; to rebuild and slowly move forward.  It is here that we are seeing the true metaphoric understanding of a nation united.  People from all over Australia are watching the stories, sharing the experience, helping where they can.  People of Australia are proposing endless ways to raise funds, donate goods, remember the lost and help the fallen.   

 The best of humanity is being given freely and unconditionally by everyday citizens.   It is a united front that we should be proud of, one we should hold on to, and even when all this is over, we can aim towards working together, as a ‘village’.

A.S.
Project Development Worker
Communities for Children

Original write-up Thursday 13th January

So much has happened already since then,
Please share with us the stories of your community, we would love to hear them!  You can do so by posting a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing AS and so true. Makes me proud to be a Queenslander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said. And it's led to people meeting neighbours that they otherwise may not have. Years ago, everyone knew the inhabitants of their street. Now we don't know the people next door. If some good can come out of the floods, this may be it.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to provide feedback and any new ideas or ask any questions you may have.